Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Skipping TWD this week...

Not only are bananas my least favorite fruit on the planet (can't even stand the smell) but neither one of my kids like whipped/pastry cream and only one likes the banana. Well, I guess I could have made it and given it away but I made something else instead....have a look see:

Yep....Smitten Kitchen's Homemade Oreos!

Recipe adapted from Retro Desserts, Wayne Brachman

Now...these won't stay around for long. They are going to my youngest son's Easter party at pre-school. I debated whether to do these or sugar cookies and frankly, didn't want to spend a day frosting cookies...so Oreos it was. (I also had some left over Whoopie Pie filling in my fridge that I needed to use up :) )

In her post, Deb indicates that you can leave out a full 1/2 cup of sugar if you want the more authentic less sweet taste of an Oreo chocolate wafer. I did that and of course she was right. It also cuts the sweetness of the filling. Oh...and I didn't use her recipe for filling...I had made Whoopie pies for a baseball snack a week ago and needed to use that filling up. It uses marshmallow creme, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. It was super soft and runny so I added about a cup of powdered sugar and beat it for a few minutes. That did the trick. Deb's recipe calls for butter, vegetable shortening, powdered sugar and vanilla so you can see the difference.

Let me tell you...I'd rather eat these over anything banana any day! And of course, I did....someone had to eat the singleton.

Wow...who new painting my fingernails would serve a purpose, considering I paint them about twice a year! (Does anyone think that might be too much filling for an Oreo?)

Make sure you stop by TWD to check out what the others made....and thank you to Amy from Sing for Your Supper for making this week's selection. If I liked bananas...I sure would have baked along with you!

Thanks for stopping by....

1 comment:

Mermaid Sews said...

I skipped this week too - my family is visiting and they all had their requests and no one likes bananas - so our precious baking time went to MANY other treats.